- A company advanced 6 miles and retreated 2 miles. How far was it then from its first position?
- A dealer bought some mules for $1,200. He sold them for $1,500, making $50 on each mule. How many mules were there?
- Thermometers are useful because
- a. They regulate temperature
- b. They tell us how warm it is
- c. They contain mercury
- A machine gun is more deadly than a rifle, because it
- a. Was invented more recently
- b. Fires more rapidly
- c. Can be used with less training
For these next two items, examinees first had to unscramble the words to form a sentence, and then indicate if the sentence was true or false.
- happy is man sick always a
- day it snow does every not
The next two items required examinees to determine the next two numbers in each sequence.
- 3 4 5 6 7 8
- 18 14 17 13 16 12
A portion of the Army Alpha required examinees to solve analogies.
- shoe — foot. hat — kitten, head, knife, penny
- eye — head. window — key, floor, room, door
In these next two examples, examinees were required to complete the sentence by selecting one of the four possible answers.
- The apple grows on a shrub, vine, bush, tree
- Denim is a dance, food, fabric, drink
Other portions of the test required examinees to follow instructions in performing paper-and-pencil tasks.